Thursday 26 August 2010

My (failed) Jailbraking Manifesto

In 1976 iPad would be a size of a building and it would cost you $18 billion (SEMI PV Group, 2010).

It has nothing to do with this post, but I thought I will share some useless infornography with you ;-)

Anyway, after a week of using my jailbroken iPhone, I thought I will give you some ultimate reasons why jailbraking is great, both ideologically and pragmatically...

How wrong I was... it turned out... to be a big disappointment...

Don't get me wrong, you will still benefit when you jailbrake you iPhone, but there are four lessons I learned during last week when exploring unauthorized apps from Cydia Store and Rock Your Phone Store are:

1. They are all expensive (but you get free trial on most of them).
The cost of majority of apps oscillate between $4.99-$9.99... WTF?

2. They crash frequently, and crash your iPhone too.

3. Some of them are very tricky to set up.
For example - getting games for snes4iPhone which allow you to run old Nintendo games on iPhone or iPad (and playing them using Wii Remote) is quite tricky...

4. You iPhone will keep crashing and performance will significantly slow down, if you start installing too many jailbroken apps.
Well, I definitely tested a lot... and had to restore my iPhone to default.

There is one ultimate reasons why I will keep my iPhone jailbroken:

I can use my iPhone as wireless WiFi modem/hotspot - both for laptop and iPad - anywhere with 3G or EDGE connection.

Yes, tethering for free. No extra charges, no bullshit from O2 about additional packages for data transfer. I just run app called MyWi ($19.99 - expensive, yes, but considering price difference between iPad 3G+WiFi and iPad WiFi only (£100), plus data packages for iPad (£10 for 1GB/month), plus paid tethering for iPhone (£15/month) - it's £25/month saving plus £100 in my pocket) and I can create a secure WiFi hotspot from my iPhone anywhere covered by 3G or EDGE. And it works fast, fully integrated with multitasking, including when iPhone is in sleep mode. Best app ever. 


I can also unlock my iPhone and use it in any country with local pay-as-you-go cards, but right now I recon I could do it without jailbraking, just speaking to my carrier.


If you want to jailbrake your iPhone/iPod, it's super simple:
a) run Safari on your iPhone/iPad, 
c) slide the slider.


---

That's it, I don't see any other reason to jailbrake your iPhone beside purely ideological (you don't like Apple's technocratic, totalitarian heaven). But in terms of practical application, there is just so much crap in those jailbroken stores, that I just really decided to clean all this shit and only install MyWi.  

[image by Geek On Acid ©]

3 comments:

  1. I think most people jailbreak for 1-2 specific reasons, like being able to share WiFi or output whatever is on the screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so much hassle - why don't you just buy android and do all of this without having to go through all this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Pies: Sure, but there was is much hype around it, while really there is not that much useful stuff there, I don't see why Apple wanted to make it illegal in the first place ;-)

    @Anonymous: The amounth of hussle to jailbrake your iPhone doesn't even come close to the amounth of hassle with Android phones buggy apps, and battery drain ;)

    ReplyDelete