Wednesday 28 October 2009

Eigenharp Is a Future of Music Composing

Electronic instruments, particularly synthesizers and controllers, are one of my big fascinations, and I am very excited by the presentation I went for on Thursday. About 3 weeks ago I heard about company Eigenlabs which released the new electronic instrument - Eigenharp Alpha. I have found out that they are touring in UK and will be showing in Glasgow on 29th of October. So I booked a ticket and went to The Classic Grand on Jamaica Street and...

Amazing quality instrument with 120 highly sensitive keys, 12 percussion keys, 2 touch strip controllers, a breath pipe and numerous pedal inputs. The real deal are the keys which have touch sensitivity down to a micron... You hook it to your Mac (PC software coming soon) via special base station, which is a sonic brain for Eigenharp. And you can map basically every physical-modeling or virtual instrument, setup or plug-in that you have there, with a lot of stuff supplied by Eigenlabs and with extremely accessible interface.

When I was holding it I felt like being in a band that was playing in Cantina in 4th episode of Star Wars:


There is no point to write about all the features. The point is that 8 years of Eigenlabs hard work resulted in this 'musical spaceship' which will probably define the direction in synthesizers design in the next years. The interface is merging two worlds that are so difficult to connect - a futuristic, tactile, sensory, physical device with unlimited and complex galaxy of software synthesizers. And they do it in a way that you won't spend half day to map 5 sounds into your controller...

It is £3950 worth monster, that I would probably buy if I would have that money just for the sake of learning how to play the instrument of the future...

For now, as a mortal, I can still go for Eigenharp Pico. Its just... not the same ;-)

1 comment: