Wednesday 14 April 2010

How would my dream tablet look like?

I wake up to the subtle ambient sound played from my tablet. It's different everyday. The tablet monitors my body movements during the night and it learns how long my REM/NREM sleep stages least and wake me up in the most optimal time (Sleep Cycle App). When I get up my tablet has already downloaded articles and news that are relevant to my research and personal interests (Mendeley or Papers), plus blogs, feeds and info that might be interesting for me (YourVersion, or rather some intelligent RSS system that learns my information-sucking habits). During breakfast I  scan through available info and choose which topics I want to explore more, saving them for later (Instapaper) and marking articles that are particularly interesting. On the way to work I get my e-mails, check calendar for daily goals, and look at social networking sites (Facebook, Twitter, Buzz, MySpace, LinkedIn, YouTube) which are clouded into one app. I quickly and silently dictate some short replies (using something similar to Google Speech Recognition on Android). 

When I get to work, longer journal and magazine articles are already downloaded to my device and integrated with my references database (Mendeley), with keywords and tags extracted, and with a visual representation of words frequency (Wordle). Reading is fully tactile with ability to make notes and comments on articles text (Skim). If I have any idea, bookmark or snapshot I want to make, I switch between applications and connect any info to my notebook database in the cloud (Evernote). Screen is easy for eyes, non-reflective, low-power consuming and with good contrast (next generation E-Ink). If you look close on the device, this tablet has 64GB drive, a 5-7 days on single battery charge, WiFi, 3G, GPS, low-weight, 3D microphone, accelerometer, headphone socket and front camera for making smooth video conferences (Skype). On my way back from work I listen to free music from the app that maps my musical preferences and habits (Last.fm) and allows me to listen everything for free (Spotify).

Consuming media, browsing, creating, communicating - everything is effortless and intuitive with my dream tablet, with multi-touch, Text 2.0 with eye-tracking, voice recognition and algorithms that constantly learn and map my behavior to create the better interface for me.

And what is certain - my dream tablet is closer than you think ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Downloading articles is so 1990's :D

    As for monitoring your sleep and daily activity, FitBit seems quite cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha I know, downloading is very 90's, actually we should even make a new word for 'the unnoticeable appearance of data on your device' - let's abandon 'downloading' ;-)

    Btw: FitBit somehow slipped through my tight techno-fetishist sourcing filter, thanks Dog!

    ReplyDelete